Imagine if you had a text messaging service, which you could use to tell your computer what you need it to do? This is what the Command Line does! It’s also more robust, lightweight and automatable than standard software.
In this tutorial you’ll learn some of the basics of the command line, navigating the filesystem on your instance and maintaining software on your instance.
You’ll learn the bare essentials, that will help you get started & complete our tutorials. There are loads of resources online to help, one resource that we find worth mentioning is the Unix Shell over at Software Carpentry.
What you’ll need
- A running Nectar instance
- Terminal software.
What you’ll learn
- Navigation of your instance file system
- Elevating to use system administrator privileges
- Installing and maintaining software
- The basics of opening and editing files